Gartner research has posted numbers covering Q3 world wide mobile phone sales. Crunching those numbers results in some very interesting data points:
- Smart phones make up 13% of all mobile phones sold (41 million of 308 million phones) up from 11.8% in 2008 for the same quarter. The total volume of phones sold was flat (308 million). The important thing to note here is users are converting to smart phones.
- iPhone sales grew 50% over 2008.
- Blackberry sales grew 45% over 2008.
- Nokia sales grew by 4% over 2008.
- 2.2% of all phones sold in the world were Apple iPhones (7 million of 308 million phones).
- 2.75% of all phones sold were RIM Blackberries.
- 5.1% of all phones sold were Nokia smartphones.
*Numbers may not add up to 100, some have been rounded.